Thursday 10 April 2014

Day 9 to 11 - Holiday, Holiday part 2

Ouch

The day started with Jenny announcing that she had bashed her "dodgy" knee against her bed and moved her knee cap.  It was nothing too serious as she had done it before, but needed some para's and  supporting bandage which we did not have, so the first stop would be the pharmacy.

Jurien Bay

Our first destination for the day was Jurien Bay 130 km further north along the coast road, which promised one of the best beaches in Western Australia (quite a contest!!).  A quick pit stop in Cervantes on route and we were there and straight to the pharmacy where the bandage was procured.

Jurien bay is glorious.






$25 "free" swim

I don't usually 'do' sand or swimming in the sea, but I was inspired by the beautifulness of the see-through water, it looked so clean and inviting, so I had my first swim in the sea for a long time, what could possibly go wrong....?

Well, a jelly fish sting, that's what.  Somehow during my meandering around in the sea a "stinger" jelly fish got caught up in my swimsuit and delivered half a dozen painful stings.  At first my frenzied splashing around exclaiming; "I'm being strung" was met with laughter, but concern soon took over when they realised I was being serious.  So it was off to the pharmacy for the second time in the day.  "Was it a stinger?", asked the chemist in a matter of fact way - which certainly described the feeling!!  Anyway 25 dollars later I had some Soov gel and anti histamine tablets which eased the pain.  Safe to it will be a long time before I venture into the sea again!!!!

Selfie

Always time for a cheeky selfie on route

Cheeky selfie
Photobombing a Pinnacle selfie

the Pinnacles

Next we headed south and 11 km in land from the coast road to a natural attraction called the Pinnacles.  On arrival at the booth we were greeted with; "G'day, welcome to the Pinnacles, that will be 12 dollars please".

There is a 4km off-road track around the Pinnacles, with a number of stop off areas which we followed to look and photograph.












Lancelin sand dunes

The final stop for the day was Lancelin, which is renowned for the sand dunes and offers the opportunity to do sand boarding.  A quick stop at the HavaChat General Store to hire two sand boards and the requisite wax, and of course a round of ice creams, and we're off - the results can be seen in the video below produced by Jodie, and features spectacular fails by Simon and Paul.




As you can see the Dunes are big and whilst the slide down was great, the yomp back to the top on fine, soft sand looked like hard work. I stayed in the boot of the car mainly due to my recent injuries, partly as it had been so hot I felt I needed the safety of the shade and lastly because I'm lazy and couldn't be bothered to walk up to the top of the dunes. Still, I really enjoyed videoing from my iPad especially capturing Simon & Paul's falls which REALLY made me lol!

Internet cold turkey

At the base camp there was no wifi and no internet available to the kids.  The activities of the first night meant that this passed almost un-noticed, but despite attempts during the day to find free wifi at our various locations, the kids had been "internet cold turkey" for almost two days and were starting to "crack" with the enforced detox.  Auntie Biz and Uncle Paul, noticing with concern the state of the kids, seized the opportunity to become the "best Auntie and Uncle in the world" for 10 minutes by setting up "personal hotspots" on their iPhones so that Jodie and Jenny could get their internet fix.  All was right with the world once more.


More pictures from the day can be found by clicking here

No comments:

Post a Comment